ABOUT THIS BLOG

I shall post videos, graphs, news stories, and other material there. We shall use some of this material in class, and you may review the rest at your convenience. You will all receive invitations to post to the blog. (Please let me know if you do not get such an invitation.) I encourage you to use the blog in these ways:
To post questions or comments about the readings before we discuss them in class;
To follow up on class discussions with additional comments or questions.
To post relevant news items or videos.

There are only two major limitations: no coarse language, and no derogatory comments about people at the Claremont Colleges.


Search This Blog

Monday, March 4, 2019

U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)


My name is U.S. Senator Rand Paul, M.D. and I am a champion of constitutional liberties and fiscal responsibility. Since 2011, I have fought against constitutional overreach in Congress. My mission is to return government to its limited, constitutional scope. I pride myself in serving the great state of Kentucky, the Republican Party, and the American people.

I see myself as a political outsider as I am not a career politician. In 1988, I graduated from Duke Medical School and began my ophthalmology practice in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Shortly after, I founded the Southern Kentucky Lions Eye Clinic, an organization that provides eye exams and surgery to needy families and individuals and I have personally performed several pro-bono surgeries over the last eight years. In 2002, the Twilight Wish Foundation recognized me for outstanding service and commitment to senior citizens. In 2010, I was elected by the people of Kentucky to represent them in the U.S. Senate.

Although my time in the Senate has been comparatively short, I have advocated for a balanced budget amendment, term limits, and privacy reform. In the 113th Congress, I was added to the Foreign Relations committee and retained my spot on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, Homeland Security and Government Affairs, and Small Business committees. On May 20, 2015, I spoke for over ten hours in opposition of the reauthorization of Section 215 of the Patriot Act and several sections of the Patriot Act were prevented from being reauthorized. In March 2017, I introduced the Stop Arming Terrorists Act that would have prohibited the use of United States Government funds to provide assistance to Al Qaeda, Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and to countries supporting those organizations. It has been my main objective to keep Americans safe.

My entrance into politics is indicative of my life’s work as a surgeon: a desire to diagnose problems and provide practical solutions, whether it be in Bowling Green, Ky., or Washington, D.C.

No comments:

Blog Archive