ABOUT THIS BLOG

I shall post videos, graphs, news stories, and other material there. We shall use some of this material in class, and you may review the rest at your convenience. You will all receive invitations to post to the blog. (Please let me know if you do not get such an invitation.) I encourage you to use the blog in these ways:
To post questions or comments about the readings before we discuss them in class;
To follow up on class discussions with additional comments or questions.
To post relevant news items or videos.

There are only two major limitations: no coarse language, and no derogatory comments about people at the Claremont Colleges.


Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2019

Introducing Iowa's Joni Ernst


As a proud member of the GOP and a born and raised Iowan, the best way to bring about change for hearty Americans is to cut wasteful spending and make Washington squeal! I’ve dedicated my entire life to serving this amazing country: I was in the U.S. Army Reserves for over 23 years, I was the Montgomery County auditor, and I served on the Iowa state Senate.

I consistently emphasize how my views are shaped by the blessed fact that I am both a mother and a grandmother. Education should be anything but the role of Washington bureaucrats, I  oppose efforts by the government to infringe upon Second Amendment rights, and I am committed to defending life. I fight for issues like cutting environmental regulations, prioritizing the young men and women who are putting their lives on the line, and agricultural reform. Growing up walking beans and feeding hogs on our family farm in southwest Iowa, I experienced firsthand the hard work that goes into production agriculture. Agriculture has long been the bedrock of our national economy and Iowa plays a critical part in ensuring folks in the U.S. and around the world have access to a safe and affordable food supply. In fact, Iowans are a leading producer of corn, soybeans, pork, eggs, and renewable fuels!

I am the first woman to serve as a U.S. Senator from Iowa and the first female Senator who was previously a member of the U.S. Army Reserves, but I’m certainly not here for my gender. Since being elected to Congress in 2014, I’ve made it my personal mission to focus on growing a vibrant economy to ensure the government runs efficiently by cutting out-of-control spending, reducing taxes, eliminating harmful regulations and balancing the budget. God bless America!

No comments:

Blog Archive