Choose one of the following:
1. Take any of JFK’s “profiles in courage.” Did JFK/Sorensen get the story right? How does this story illustrate similarities and differences between the Congress of its time and the Congress of 2012? Your essay should involve research into the senator in question.
2. How effectively has Congress checked President Obama's exercise of the war power? In your essay, take account of Fisher and Haskell. Your essay should involve research into the president's policies and the congressional response.
3. At the start of the 112th Congress, the House adopted a package of rules reforms. Have these reforms achieved their intended goals? Explain. In your essay, consider Sinclair's analysis of unorthodox lawmaking.
- Essays should be typed, stapled, double-spaced, and no more than three pages long. I will not read past the third page.
- Put your name on a cover sheet. Do not identify yourself on the text pages.
- Cite your sources. You may use either endnotes or parenthetical references to a bibliography. In either case, put your documentation in a standard format (e.g., Turabian or Chicago Manual of Style).
- Watch your spelling, grammar, diction, and punctuation. Errors will count against you.
- Return essays by the start of class, May 2. Papers will drop a gradepoint for one day’s lateness, a letter grade after that.