ABOUT THIS BLOG

I shall post videos, graphs, news stories, and other material there. We shall use some of this material in class, and you may review the rest at your convenience. You will all receive invitations to post to the blog. (Please let me know if you do not get such an invitation.) I encourage you to use the blog in these ways:
To post questions or comments about the readings before we discuss them in class;
To follow up on class discussions with additional comments or questions.
To post relevant news items or videos.

There are only two major limitations: no coarse language, and no derogatory comments about people at the Claremont Colleges.


Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2008

Use of Campaign Funds

Emily raised a good question about restrictions on the use of campaign funds. See the FEC guide for candidates, especially chapter 9. The short answer is that candidates indeed have a good deal of latitude, provided that the money does not end up in their own pockets.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow, I feel bad for the campaign who set the precedent regarding use of funds for funerals and cremations! Though I can't say I oppose limiting the politicization of funerals. ("If only my opponent wasn't opposed to stem cell research, who knows where Cousin Johnny would be now!")

It sounds like the scenario that I was wondering about would be fair game, under these rules. I don't see why an eccentric candidate with a big war chest couldn't, in theory, use donated funds to open a clinic or park. It would be an obvious stunt, but a stunt that would more than pay for itself in free media, and a stunt that your opponents would have to respond to very carefully. If only West Wing were still on...

Blog Archive